Title: Kingdom of Ashes
Author: Rhiannon Thomas
Series: A Wicked Thing #2
Published: February 23, 2016 by HarperTeen
Asleep for a hundred years, awoken by a kiss. Aurora’s life was supposed to be a fairytale.
But since discovering that loyalty to the crown and loyalty to her country are two very different things, Aurora knows she can only dream of happily ever after. Once the enchanted princess, savior of her people, she is now branded a traitor.
Aurora is determined to free her home from the king’s tyrannical rule, even if it means traveling across the sea to the kingdom of the handsome and devious Prince Finnegan—someone who seems to know far more about her magic than he should. However, Finnegan’s kingdom has perils of its own, and any help he gives Aurora will come at a price.
As Aurora and Finnegan work together to harness her power—something so fiery and dangerous that is as likely to destroy those close to Aurora as it is to save them—she begins to unravel the mysteries surrounding the curse that was placed on her over a century before…and uncover the truth about the destiny she was always meant to fulfill.
Brimming with captivating fantasy and life-threatening danger, the sequel to A Wicked Thing takes Sleeping Beauty on an adventure unlike any she’s ever had before.
The sequel picks up exactly where the last book left off. This one was so much better than the first one which has it’s pros and cons. I feel with the first book it needs to grab you and keep you wanting more and A Wicked Thing didn’t quite do that with me. The only reason why I grabbed the second book was to give me something to read while in between other books. It was once again a quick read and I spent a couple of hours reading it.Though it didn’t quite keep me enthralled that I got distracted by other things going on.
Aurora has left behind her kingdom and her happily ever after to purse information about her past, her new found magic and how to defeat the King. She comes across a small village and soldiers find her where her fear of being taken overwhelms her and she starts a fire which burns the whole town to the ground. Only when she meets up with Nettle does she have a place to go- Finnegans kingdom which lays across the sea. There she meets up with the green-eyed prince and starts her journey on finding out who she is and why she has magic. Celestine is not far behind her and haunts her every move though it takes a while for her to pop up. Aurora finally has a backbone and starts to take fate into her hands and grows but she still does stupid things and becomes very wishy-washy. There is A LOT of “I don’t knows” throughout the whole book which I got annoyed at by the end of it. Finnegan and Nettle are probably my two favorite characters. I want to learn so much more about Nettle and her backstory. There was a little bit of a twist at the end of the story but I kinda figured it out but the magic that Aurora actually has was a twist. I still wish we had more background information about it rather than these bits and pieces.
Not sure if I will read the last book or not. Maybe? I don’t know when it will come out but if it’s a long while and I have to read the two books again I probably won’t.
A weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish where they give a topic and I discuss it! 🙂 So I know it’s BEEN FOREVER since I’ve done one but I’m excited to get this started up again.
Ten Bookish Facts about Myself
- I often read an entire book in one day: It’s not very hard for me if I love the book. If the book is around 300 pages I can usually finish it in about 3-4 hours give or take some. If it’s a reallllly long book then it could take me up to 8 hours. Sometimes I can even finish the trilogy in a day if it’s all been published.
- I wish I know how many books I have read in my young life so far: I know that I’ve read A LOT but I never kept track of all the books I’ve read in elementary, middle or even high school. So I can remember some but not everything. According to Goodreads I’ve read 424 books but I’m sure that number is a lot bigger!
- I hate when people ask me what my favorite book is: It’s one of those I can’t just choose one! I have too many so I would rather be asked who my favorite authors are or genres.
- I am a HUGE fantasy book lover and I’m always embarrassed to admit it to people when I talk about books: My parents never approved of me reading fantasy books and so I’m still embarrassed when people ask me what my favorite type of book to read. I guess my parents thought it was too unrealistic and that its all fake and I should have been reading autobiographers and real life stuff. But I LOVE getting lost into a new world and reading about someplace else.
- I’m not very good at picking up on the small details or the twists are kinda obvious but I’m oblivious to it until the very end: I guess I’m more of a big picture kind of person and so the small details I don’t pick up on until I read about them in a review or later down the book.
- I hate that I had to leave behind most of the books that I have collected over my young life at home when I moved to the west: So I was such a HUGE Scholastic child in school that I would always beg my mom to buy me a book or two when I got the catalog and so my bookshelf is quite large. When moving from the East Coast to the West Coast I had to be very picky about what books to bring out with me. I couldn’t even bring that many-I think I brought with me 10 books out of around 100.
- I prefer hardback books to anything but I would prefer digital books to paperbacks: I just don’t like paperbacks-I’m always worried that the cover will rip and how I hold the paperback I tend to bend the covers anyways.
- Even thought I love books, I hardly ever talk about them with other people: A lot of my friends are not book readers or don’t like the same genre as me so I don’t get the chance to gush about a plot or a character that I loved to anyone.
- On that note, I gasp whenever someone tells me that they don’t like reading or hate it: I just can’t or won’t understand how anyone can not like reading. It just amazes me. I mean my own sister hates reading so I swear she is adopted just because of that reason! (JK..I love you!)
- Wherever I end up living and I have my own place I want to build one of those book nooks that you’ve seen on Pinterest: I mean come on! Those are just so beautiful and I want a special place for all of my books and a space for me to just enjoy it all. Right now I’m enjoying books either in bed or on my couch.
Yay! For learning some new things about me! 🙂 Hope you enjoyed it and I can’t wait to read all about you!
Title: A Wicked Thing
Author: Rhiannon Thomas
Series: A Wicked Thing #1
Published:February 24, 2015 by HarperTeen
One hundred years after falling asleep, Princess Aurora wakes up to the kiss of a handsome prince and a broken kingdom that has been dreaming of her return. All the books say that she should be living happily ever after. But as Aurora understands all too well, the truth is nothing like the fairy tale.
Her family is long dead. Her “true love” is a kind stranger. And her whole life has been planned out by political foes while she slept.
As Aurora struggles to make sense of her new world, she begins to fear that the curse has left its mark on her, a fiery and dangerous thing that might be as wicked as the witch who once ensnared her. With her wedding day drawing near, Aurora must make the ultimate decision on how to save her kingdom: marry the prince or run.
Rhiannon Thomas weaves together vivid scenes of action, romance, and gorgeous gowns to reveal a richly imagined world … and Sleeping Beauty as she’s never been seen before.
I’ve heard so-so reviews about this and decided to pick it up at the library when I went a couple of days ago. Overall it was an ok read, pretty quick to read but slow and not very strong characters or plot.
We follow Aurora as she wakes up 100 years after falling asleep due to a curse placed on her when she was born. Her life is now a fairy tale and she doesn’t know quite what to make of it. We meet the new King and Queen who reign over her country as well as the prince who woke her up with true loves kiss. Prince Rodric is weak and I pitied him throughout the whole story. He blushes every time he spoke to Aurora and never called her by her name besides Princess. I kinda just brushed him aside because I felt like he had no part to play in the story besides being another person in the story. As Aurora (very) slowly wakes up to the reality that she is living in, not everything is happily ever after and there is unrest in her country. She doesn’t fully understand any of it besides that she doesn’t want to be queen, she doesn’t want to marry Rodric but it’s expected of her.She soon grows a backbone by the end of the book but it was too little too late. The only interesting thing in this story is the backstory of magic. I wanted more of it but sadly only got glimpses of it. The other interesting character was Finnegan-he had wit and knew how to play the game which made it fun.
I hope for a better character development for all characters in the next book but we shall see.