I received a copy of this book from the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.
Author: Jessica Day George
Series: Silver in the Blood #1
Published: July 7, 2015 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Society girls from New York City circa 1890, Dacia and Lou never desired to know more about their lineage, instead preferring to gossip about the mysterious Romanian family that they barely knew. But upon turning seventeen, the girls must return to their homeland to meet their relatives, find proper husbands, and—most terrifyingly—learn the deep family secrets of The Claw, The Wing, and The Smoke. The Florescus, after all, are shape-shifters, and it is time for Dacia and Lou to fulfill the prophecy that demands their acceptance of this fate . . . or fight against this cruel inheritance with all their might.
With a gorgeous Romanian setting, stunning Parisian gowns, and dark brooding young men, readers will be swept up by this epic adventure of two girls in a battle for their lives.
What a refreshing read!!! This is probably my new favorite of the year!! I couldn’t put it down and finished it in one night. I don’t have anything bad to say about it besides that I wish it was longer!
It follows Dacia and Lou who are cousins and the best of friends as they travel from New York to Romania to meet the rest of the very large family, The Florescus. Dacia and Lou are traveling separately and so at the start of each chapter they write letters to each other and the POVs change between the two. It really allows the story to flow really well. Dacia and Lou finally reach their ancestral home where they have more questions than answers surrounding what is going on with their extended family. Finally, their questions are answered one night and it changes everything. Lou has turned into something that hasn’t been seen in generations and Dacia is shocked at her transformation and sees herself as a monster. It’s up to these two girls to accept their family secret and save the royal family before the sun rises.
What I Liked:
- Dacia and Lou are STRONG WOMEN CHARACTERS!!! I fell in love with both of them within the first chapters. Dacia is the wild child while Lou is quiet and gets nervous in certain situations but all that changes when their family secret is revealed. Don’t want to give too much away.
- The romance is slowly built up and no insta-love or love triangles. It was amazing! It also wasn’t a main plot point either.
- The pacing was done really well and it flowed with the changes of the POV.
- The setting was also done well. I felt like I was there with Dacia and Lou.
- No cliffhanger at the end but it also left it open for the next book.
- It was a little dark at times…
What I wish for more of:
- There is a secret society in the story and I would have liked to learn more about it but I’m thinking we might be in the next book.
- I want more!!!!
I am thinking of actually buying this book because it was so refreshing and exciting and just all the feels!!!