I received a copy of this book from the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.
Author: Lee Bross
Series: Tangled Webs #1
Published: June 23, 2015 by Disney Hyperion
London, 1725. Everybody has a secret. Lady A will keep yours—for a price. This sumptuous, scandalous YA novel is wickedly addictive.
Lady A is the most notorious blackmailer in the city. With just a mask and a gown to disguise her, she sweeps into lavish balls and exclusive events collecting the most valuable currency in 1725 London—secrets.
But leading a double life isn’t easy. By day Lady A is just a sixteen-year-old girl named Arista who lives in fear of her abusive master, Bones, and passes herself off as a boy to move safely through the squalor of London’s slums. When Bones attempts to dispose of his pawn forever, Arista is rescued by the last person she expects: Jonathan Wild, the infamous Thief Taker General who moves seamlessly between the city’s criminal underworld and its most elite upper circles. Arista partners with Wild on her own terms in the hopes of saving enough money to buy passage out of London.
Everything changes when she meets Graeden Sinclair, the son of a wealthy merchant. Grae has traveled the world, has seen the exotic lands Arista has longed to escape to her whole life, and he loves Arista for who she is—not for what she can do for him. Being with Grae gives something Arista something precious that she swore off long ago: hope. He has promised to help Arista escape the life of crime that has claimed her since she was a child. But can you ever truly escape the past?
Not going to lie…little disappointed with this book. The description sounded awesome but it just fell flat for me. 😦
The story follows Arista from her POV as she pretends to be Lady A a high society lady who steals secrets from the ton. Arista wants her freedom and to travel to India with her maid, Becky. But her handler, Bones abuses her and keeps the money for himself. One day Nic her fellow partner in crime tells her a secret-that he has made a deal with the Thief Taker to get her out of Bones’s grip. Arista is set free but at a cost-she is placed in a loving family where the guy,Grae, was the one that stole her heart one night and learns her dark secret. Arista must decide if saving herself is worth it and can she escape the clutches of the bad people around her?
Things I liked:
- The historical setting was nice. A lot of reviews said it wasn’t enough but I thought it was good enough for me. The setting wasn’t as important as maybe a high fantasy book is and so I don’t see a problem.
- The plot sounded awesome for a historical fiction YA novel about a cool spy but nothing exciting came from it.
Things I disliked:
- Insta-love. COME ON!!!!! UGH!!! It was I saw him across the room and I felt his eyes bore into me and I fell madly in love! *bleh* There was no slow build up of a romance it was BAM! I saw you, he saw me and we are now in love.
- No connections with the characters. I felt nothing for the characters…though it was a character driven story. Arista was whiney, Nic only came around when he was needed, Grae was annoying, Bones/Wild were boring.
- Some plot/side lines got left behind. *sophie’s beau-whatever happened to him*
Sadly, this story did not live up to my expectations and so I was so disappointed. It had all the trappings of a great historical fiction YA novel but wasn’t executed very well.