I received a copy of this book from the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.
Author: Aya Ling
Published: June 12, 2015 by Aya Ling (self-published)
When Kat accidentally rips apart an old picture book, she’s magically transported into the world of Cinderella–as Katriona, one of the ugly stepsisters! Life turns upside down now that she’s a highborn lady and must learn how to survive the social season, including how to get through the door in a huge metal hoop skirt. To get back, she’ll have to complete the story, right to the end of happily ever after. But the odds are huge: the other stepsister is drop-dead gorgeous, the fairy godmother is nowhere to be found, and the prince, despite being insanely hot, openly dislikes balls. Can she ever return to the modern world?
I am just in LOVE with fairy tale retellings! Cinder I believe has been the latest push for these types of books but I fell in love with these retellings by reading Robin McKinley’s Beauty and Deerskin. So when I saw this on netgalley(or anything like it) I request it and lucky for me I got it!
It starts off in the present day with Kat being self-conscious and not confident at all and she gets anxious whenever a cute guy talks to her. The normal teenage stuff. Then while cleaning the attic she rips the Cinderella book and gets transported into the story! Krev, a goblin tells her that she has to complete the story of Cinderella in order to go back to her modern world with plumbing and TV. She has no idea how to go about finishing the story when she is one of the stepsisters. She can’t even figure out who the Cinderella is! Her troubles have only just started.
Things I liked:
- The setting and the descriptions of the outfits and everything was really well done. I felt transported to another world! I would love to live in a world like that minus the nonexistent plumbing issue.
- Kat starts out being annoying and the typical heroine but she grows a backbone and starts doing something about her situation. She really does grow from being a shy girl to one that is confident and strong.
- Bianca is such a nasty character and I really liked how she was portrayed but I would have liked more.
- The subplots that were also going on were great! It was a really interesting new take on this story! I would have liked more but this was a retelling so….
Things I didn’t like:
- The pace was slow. It being around 452 pages, not much was happening in most of those. It could have definitely been shortened.
- It was predictable. There were some things that surprised me but it was just like an OH and not like OMG!
- The end was a little weird…..I don’t want to give it away but it just didn’t really make sense.