I received a copy of this book from the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.
Author: Mary Weber
Series: The Storm Siren #2
Published: June 2, 2015 by Thomas Nelson/HarperCollins
“I thrust my hand toward the sky as my voice begs the Elemental inside me to waken and rise. But it’s no use. The curse I’ve spent my entire life abhorring—the thing I trained so hard to control—no longer exists.”
Nym has saved Faelen only to discover that Draewulf stole everything she valued. Now he’s destroyed her Elemental storm-summoning ability as well.
When Nym sneaks off with a host of delegates to Bron, Lord Myles offers her the chance for a new kind of power and the whispered hope that it may do more than simply defeat the monster she loathes. But the secrets the Bron people have kept concealed, along with the horrors Draewulf has developed, may require more than simply harnessing a darker ability.
They may require who she is.Set against the stark metallic backdrop of the Bron kingdom, Nym is faced with the chance to change the future.
Or was that Draewulf’s plan for her all along?
I finished Siren’s Storm a while back and you can read my review on that book HERE. I was sorta excited to get the second installment in the series hoping it would get better but it kinda fell a little flat.
Nym has finally sorta accepted her powers and who she really is after a rough battle that saw many of the people she loved fall. But when Eogan tells her the truth and that he has become Draewulf and strips her powers away she falls apart. Dead set against playing the waiting game she strikes out and sneaks aboard the airship that is taking Draewulf/Eogan to Bron to watch him. Rasha joins her as well as the sneaky Myles on the airship. Nym needs to find out how to save Eogan and how to gain back her powers.
Things I Liked:
- Rasha as a friend was awesome though their friendship felt rushed and I wish that she was more in the first book so that we had more history between the two of them. She was feisty and protective and smart.
- Myles and Draewulf were great evil characters. I just loved the interaction between Myles and Nym. It was so brother/sister like.
- The twist at the end was awesome! I totally thought he was a goner but lo and behold he made it through! The ending was good and I do look forward to reading the last in this trilogy.
Things I Disliked:
- Nym. She made rash decisions that endangered the people around her and was acting really selfish. You thought that she would have learned by now. I also felt like her character story was a repeat of the first one. She had the same problems as before where she didn’t believe in herself and couldn’t accept her powers and then she lost them and idk…it just wasn’t working with me this time. It was the same mantra “believe in yourself” “you are who you are” blah blah.
- World building was again lacking. I liked that we got to visit another country, Bron but all we mostly saw was the palace. I wish we had more of a history.
- Kel. A VERY random character that I felt was thrown into the mix that I felt had no purpose. Idk if he will make an appearance in the next book but I felt he was pointless and did nothing for the story.
Maybe because this was the second book and usually second books tend to not do well I didn’t like it as much. I do look forward to reading the last one though.