I received a copy of this book from the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.
Author: Ishbelle Bee
Series: The Peculiar Adventures of John Lovegood Esq. #1
Published: June 2, 2015 by Angry Robots
1888. A little girl called Mirror and her shape-shifting guardian Goliath Honeyflower are washed up on the shores of Victorian England. Something has been wrong with Mirror since the day her grandfather locked her inside a mysterious clock that was painted all over with ladybirds. Mirror does not know what she is, but she knows she is no longer human.
John Loveheart, meanwhile, was not born wicked. But after the sinister death of his parents, he was taken by Mr Fingers, the demon lord of the underworld. Some say he is mad. John would be inclined to agree.
Now Mr Fingers is determined to find the little girl called Mirror, whose flesh he intends to eat, and whose soul is the key to his eternal reign. And John Loveheart has been called by his otherworldly father to help him track Mirror down…
The cover is what really drew me to request this book from Netgalley. It’s so Victorian and beautiful! The premise sounded odd and the book was indeed odd, dark, beautiful and extraordinary!
The story mostly follows Mirror who is a young girl but not. Her grandfather tried killing her by stuffing her in a grandfather clock that had ladybirds on it. When the police finally came a man named Goliath helped her out and since then they have been inseparable. They both are on a hunt to find out who Mirror really is and what they can do about it. Along the way they meet different psychics who hint at who she is and a John Lovegood who tries to steal her away. The other characters who make an appearance: Mr. Fingers as the lord of the underworld who wants to eat Mirror for her power that she holds, Death as a young boy who tries to keep the balance, Tumbletee a brother to Lovegood who is sadistic, and so many more!
This is a short read and yet it’s hard to review. It had so many amazing components to the story but I don’t want to give anything away. So I’ll do some bullets to make it easier.
What I liked about it:
- Mirror and Goliath’s relationship. He is so protective of her and she grants him the power to shape-shift!
- There are many side stories and you think why is it in here but they all connect to one another but you don’t realize it until later
- The writing style is sooo unique and strange! I loved it!
What I didn’t like:
- If you like to connect with your characters this one is not for you. I didn’t mind not connecting with the characters because the story itself was enough and I couldn’t put it down!
- Some of the chapters I couldn’t sense who was talking at first and that sorta bothered me but it may not for you.
I would recommend this book if you are looking for something strange and quick. It’s such a unique read and I fell in love with it!